Monday 9 May 2016

Akram's War - Nadim Safdar

One night, Akram Khan walks out of his house towards an appointed time and place where he is supposed to detonate a bomb that will end his life and that of many innocent bystanders. As he wanders through the town he encounters Grace, whose life has been marred just as his has, forming an unlikely closeness borne of need and necessity. Akram tells Grace about his seemingly inexorable journey towards radicalization: a childhood within the tight-knit Pakistani community, his complex friendships among outcasts, his disastrous years in the army, and his empty arranged marriage to a woman who remains a stranger. Delicately drawn, Akram's War is an honest and shocking kaleidoscopic portrait of contemporary Britain, and of the ways in which the twists and turns of fate can scar and mark a life. 

My thoughts:
This is the story of Akram on his way to a suicide bombing. But then he meets Grace and at first I am all, what made you stop? And we find out. He tells her his story, and she tells him hers.

Akram was never a fundamentalist. He had an ok homelife. Sure the kids at school called him a Paki, but then kids are idiots. He went on with his life, he even joined the army (since they pay you for being there), and he even fought in Afghanistan. He made a good friend, who he had never liked before. But war makes your life fall apart. And his home life turned into a mess too when his parents arranged a marriage for him.

Grace was a mess from the start. Hooking. Mental issues. A kid that the social service took. She was broken. While he just gave up, she tried, and failed.

Even with the bomb he was never a believer. He was just lost. Though the end, I wonder about the end...I so wonder.

Conclusion:
It was an interesting story, there are many roads that leads to his road. And the only reason I could like him was because he was not a bad man. He was a fool who did not even want this. He was a coward. Which ultimately makes it a sad story.

Paperback, 240 pages
Published May 5th 2016 by Atlantic Books
Fiction
For review

34 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you the only one brave to comment ;)
      And yes, this is more your style, no romance

      Delete
  2. oh this sounds so different and unique!!! Not my style of story--too sad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No comment on the cover??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it, a map of the place and reeed, but...eh

      Delete
  4. Oh I don't know... sounds like an open ending. I'm thinking this one isn't for me. I need a solid HEA right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if I imagined it was an open, or if it was meant to be a solid this will turn out well, or

      Delete
  5. Have you ever read The Reluctant Fundamentalist? This sounds similar to that one, and that one was truly excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't. I would actually have wanted more of the how he ended up on this road. Now we mostly cos the early stuff, maybe it was meant to be a surprise, look what happened

      Delete
  6. You got cryptic there. So I'm translating this as the ending has no closure? If so, that sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure, maybe I imagined it? Cos it was a happy ending where he found closure, but at the same time I am all..really...stuff can still happen

      Delete
  7. Hmm, the no romance makes it less my style, but interesting premise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap. This book is cray. It can mess a person up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like some very heavy issues in this book. You've made me curious though, what kind of conversations the two characters have.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh a coward so I can see how that would not make for total great ending. Interesting premise in this day and age for a story line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the ending was the only time when he was not a coward

      Delete
  11. Huh, I think I would like to read this one. I'm always interested in what motivates people to do what they do. Thanks for the sum up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet is driving me crazy..let's see if I can reply

      Delete
  12. it's not an usual story, it sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you ever wonder about suicide bombers? Surely not all of them "want" to do it, but are brainwashed? I don't know, I just try to rationalize everything. Don't mind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder. WHat makes them that crazy! Insane

      Delete
  14. Can't help buut feel bad for the fools.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm. I've not heard of this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP