Sunday 8 May 2016

Carole's Sunday Review: The Gift - Tegon Maus

Author: Tegon Maus
Titles: The Gift - The Chronicles of Tucker Littlefield
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: Ebook
First Published: September 2012
Where I Got It: On my shelf (Given to me for my honest and unbiased opinion)

Transformed by a primitive magic beyond a civilized man's understanding, I was given a horrible gift that no man should possess... It held me, twisted me, turning me at its bidding. I was enslaved by its power, compelled to devour the souls of the dead until I became the monster of my fears. I have seen things I wish never to see again. I have done things of which I wish never to speak. Yet I must if I am to find the answers to fulfill my hope. I have walked upon blue ribbons of molten stone to peer into the depth of a man's soul. I watched as a promise made at birth brought my friend Enon to sacrifice everything to become whole again - all in an effort to save the life of his child. I have cried without shame for the loss of all I hold dear and for fear that the future will hold more than I can bear. I am Tucker Littlefield. Know all that I say now is true-spoken.




Ooooh Tucker Littlefield....you certainly confused me. At some points I liked him and at other points I wanted to give him a firm kick in the romp. However, it was certainly entertaining reading his tale of an adventure he really wanted nothing to do with.


Poor Enon. :/



The dog was creepy, but I liked him. 



The governess annoyed me. Like I get it...but calm down m'am.



There was a lot of humor mixed in with the fantasy and adventure and I enjoyed that a lot! However, there was dark moments. For being a fantasy and filled with magic, it did have a touch of realism....it was a refreshing read for sure!



I do wish there was a wee bit more world-building; I really wanted to know more about the world and the people/groups in it. There was some, but there should have been more (I could be biased since I adore world-building and backstory). 



BUT alas, the story itself was still fun and an easy read. It was a quick read and even though there was a lot going on it was easy to follow. There were only a couple of times I had to go back and reread to make sure I wasn't missing something. 



The writing style was wonderfully done and I really enjoyed this book more than I had thought I would. The characters were interesting. I hope Tucker has more adventures so I can learn more about this world! I do recommend this for those need a good and quick fantasy. It was certainly a fun, refreshing, and creative ride! Out of five stars, I stamp this with 4. 






4 comments:

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP