Friday 27 May 2016

Early review: Memories of Ash - Intisar Khanani

In the year since she cast her sunbolt, Hitomi has recovered only a handful of memories. But the truths of the past have a tendency to come calling, and an isolated mountain fastness can offer only so much shelter. When the High Council of Mages summons Brigit Stormwind to stand trial for treason, Hitomi knows her mentor won’t return—not with Arch Mage Blackflame behind the charges.

Armed only with her magic and her wits, Hitomi vows to free her mentor from unjust imprisonment. She must traverse spell-cursed lands and barren deserts, facing powerful ancient enchantments and navigating bitter enmities, as she races to reach the High Council. There, she reunites with old friends, planning a rescue equal parts magic and trickery.

If she succeeds, Hitomi will be hunted the rest of her life. If she fails, she’ll face the ultimate punishment: enslavement to the High Council, her magic slowly drained until she dies.

My thoughts:
Hitomi does not have it easy in this book. She still suffers from the sunbolt. She is slowly getting her memories back. She is learning magic, but if anyone finds her they will hunt her down. And then they come for Bridgit, whom she lives with. All alone again, what will she do? She really is cursed.

So I get the whole rogue thing, but, I mean Bridgit is teaching her now, could she just not just become one of them? I do not really get why she is still bad then? Why would she have to be like killed or drained of power? She is not a rogue, she has a teacher. These people are just MEAN.

But let's move away from that. This is a book where Hitomi tries to get her teacher back. Where she finds herself again. Where we meet some old friends, and new friends. And I find myself curious about the next book and a certain thing. And then there was that other thing I am SO curious about too. I so want to know THAT thing. But we have to wait until book 3, but I am soooo curious!

Hitomi is not particularly kick-ass in the ass kicking aspect, she is a thinker. She waits, she plans. And she is kind.

Oh...I miss Val. Val is awesome. I have a Val crush.

Conclusion:
I look forward to more


Kindle Edition, 359 pages
Expected publication: May 30th 2016 by Purple Monkey Press
The Sunbolt Chronicles #2
YA FANTASY
For review

31 comments:

  1. Mean people suck but Val sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you enjoyed it overall.

    I do like a thinker.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ass-kicking characters, but I do love my thinkers, too. I can relate far more easily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait... I preordered this book for The Boy... and I didn't get it yet... goes to check Kindle account.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the sound of Hitomi. That is the kind of heroine I like. Not that I don't like the kick ass kind either... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the first book but haven't read it. I love this author's writing. Have you read her book, Thorn?

    ReplyDelete
  7. First I've heard of this series, but I am intrigued. That's a lovely cover too, nice way to make purple work :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ponder things like that and makes me wonder why people complicate things. But makes for excitement, I suppose. Glad you are excited for the next book and following one of those plot threads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is the thing.

      I do wonder how things will go down

      Delete
  9. The middle of the series? An unfinished series too boot? Thank you very much dear thinker ;p

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this first book and I'm looking forward to this one. I'm planning on a reread first though. There's no Val?! I have a Val crush too! He needs to be in all of the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Val...well a little Val, but so not enough Val! I love Val

      Delete
  11. I don't know where you find these series, Linda... The Sunbolt Chronicles is new to me, but I'm already more than interested to learn more :) And the fact that you're looking forward to the third book in the series is definitely a very good sign! Excellent review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D
      You really have to take a look at her other book too, Thorn

      Delete
  12. Ahh the quiet thinkers can be rather scary sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you really enjoyed it. I hope the next one is just as good.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thats me...more of a thinker.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great that she' badass by using her brains. And that cover is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. But the cover?!? What do you think about it??? I like the part where it has a lot of purple, but other than that...

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP