Tuesday 24 May 2016

Fantasy Tuesday: An Ember in The Ashes and Wedding bells, magic spells

What if you were the spark that could ignite a revolution?

For years Laia has lived in fear. Fear of the Empire, fear of the Martials, fear of truly living at all. Born as a Scholar, she’s never had much of a choice.

For Elias it’s the opposite. He has seen too much on his path to becoming a Mask, one of the Empire’s elite soldiers. With the Masks’ help the Empire has conquered a continent and enslaved thousands, all in the name of power.

When Laia’s brother is taken she must force herself to help the Resistance, the only people who have a chance of saving him. She must spy on the Commandant, ruthless overseer of Blackcliff Academy. Blackcliff is the training ground for Masks and the very place that Elias is planning to escape. If he succeeds, he will be named deserter. If found, the punishment will be death.

But once Laia and Elias meet, they will find that their destinies are intertwined and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

In the ashes of a broken world one person can make a difference. One voice in the dark can be heard. The price of freedom is always high and this time that price might demand everything, even life itself. 

My thoughts:
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Fine I admit, I have YA prejudices, but they tend to be so sweet and blarghhh, Even the fantasy, and then you go but that one is not nice...trust me, they are all nice, even the killing ones.

And then there was the I am scared of triangles and it sure looked like there could be one. But no, I do not count this as that. For it to be a triangle everyone has to you know like each other. Here we have a boy and girl who are bffs, and then the boy meets another girl. Nope, not a triangle. Then I worried that the girl would meet someone, but just cos someone fancies her again does not a triangle make. 

So those were my fears. And to my surprised I got sucked in at once. Sure a lot of people get killed but I would not call it dark, but there is the thing it's not light and romance focused either. No bleeding hearts and angsty drama that takes over the fantasy.

We have Elias who have been drilled to be a perfect solider all his life, but he has doubts and wants to run away. Which will get him killed. I liked his world, the mindless soldiers who only kill, and the Commander, who is a really "lovely" sociopath, she does not give a f about others. Just perfection. She will kill you for looking at her wrong.

Then we have Laia. Ok, so this was the weak spot. But the Commander is a ruthless bitch who whips her! *yawns* Every other slave gets raped, and we are told Laia is pretty much the hottest slave around and no one rapes her. Not that I want that, in adult or YA! But it's a weak spot. Not to mention that the other slave has only one eye, and  the Commander really should have marred Laia's face too. But we can't have that. Instead we will have marks on places you can not see. I would rather have had something like no rapes the Commander's slaves! She wants no bastards or slow working girls. Then it would have makes sense. Now I just focused on this stupid thing, and I have mentioned the r thing too much but damn it, do not mention it as the first thing then when Laia becomes a slave thatslaves are always subjected to that, and then say she is way too beautiful for a slave.

But let's say she was lucky, good for her.
It's a good world, I got the feel of it even if I had some questions that should have been answered. But that is for other books. And I sure hope the next one is not a weak one, because ...let's have hope.

And the world is going to hell...always a good thing. Though I can't see how the Resistance is much of a force, that could have been done better.

Conclusion:
All in all, a great book that kept me reading. I look forward to more 

Cover: ugly

Hardcover, 450 pages
Published June 4th 2015 by Harper Voyager
An Ember in the Ashes #1
Fantasy
Library

You would think that after having successfully destroyed the Saghred (aka, a legendary soul-sucking rock) and sending an evil goblin demigod to the Lower Hells that I would get some time off to plan my wedding to my sexy paladin fiancé Mychael Eiliesor, right? Wrong. Not only do I have to brace for meeting Mychael’s parents and cope with my burgeoning new powers, but it seems there may be another calamity brewing.

After the recent change in goblin leadership, the new—thankfully non-psychotic—king is willing to participate in an elf/goblin/human peace treaty. The Isle of Mid is the site of these delicate negotiations, meaning all hands on deck for Mychael and his Conclave Guardians. When the head of elven intelligence (and my wedding guest) Duke Markus Sevelien is nearly assassinated upon his arrival, I suspect my mother-in-law will be the least of my concerns. Sabotaging these talks may be only the first salvo in a treacherous and deadly new apocalyptic plot! 

My thoughts:
It's not the best time to read a book when you are cranky as hell, but at least it took my minds if things...for a few seconds, and then I was cranky again.

Anyway....Raine should be with Taaaam! Team Tam!!!! But no, she is marrying Mychael, always go with the nice elf. Noo, go with the goblin! Alas those days are over, but in my mind she in Tam will have goblin babies one day. I am so bad ;)

But before they can get married she must meet the inlaws *music of doom*
And they must meet her pirate family *music of doom*
She must deal with the after affects of the Sanghred *music of doom*
Someone is trying to kill everyone *music of doom*
And something bigger is coming...no music of doom, just a note to the author to write more books. pretty please.

Conclusion:
It was fun to see Raine and the gang again, and seriously, one more book is so needed. Just one more. 

Cover
Nice

Paperback, 312 pages
Published February 16th 2016 by NLA Digital LLC
Raine Benares #7
Fantasy
Own

41 comments:

  1. I've been afraid to read An Ember in Ashes for the same reasons you mentioned. Hmmm I might give it a try one day.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! So glad you enjoyed An Ember in the Ashes despite YA fantasy not typically working for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay so glad An Ember in The Ashes surprised you. I enjoyed this and look forward to the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the same YA prejudices <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) ;) Reading it as we speak.
    2) Again....love the title!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many good things about Ember, but I still somehow have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, there were things that bothered me, but others might not get over those

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed Ember in the Ashes too! I couldn't stand Laia though, I don't know why all the guys love her in this bizarre love square she has going in this book, lol. I'll probably need to remind myself what happens before I hit up the next book when it comes out later this year :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most reviews where talking about how awesome she was and I was all...she does nothing. Guys just love her and she stumbles into the right direction

      Delete
  8. I've heard only good things about An Ember in the Ashes so I'm excited to see that you enjoyed it. I definitely need to get to it soon, especially with the sequel impending. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sequel! i can't wait :D
      And yes you should def try it

      Delete
  9. Oh, you caught my attention with that first book. That would be distracting to have the rough slave world described one way and then to have this one slave treated differently.
    But it does sound exciting.
    I was just thinking after you made that comment about YA not being dark and gritty enough. I think that might be why my favorite YA tends to be Dystopian- its generally a harsh world. Less of the over the top angst and 'crushing on boys' stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish it had not been mentioned cos there she goes being like a top model but no one touches her, when she has been told it will happen on her first day. So do not mention it then.

      Ah, see, not even those are gritty, but I get it, they are YA, they have to be nicer

      Delete
  10. it's great to see that you were surprised by the first one like that! I heard a lot about it but haven't read it yet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bring pleasantly surprised is always a nice discovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My thoughts about YA are very similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought Ember in the Ashes when it first came out but then I heard about all the rape and I've been afraid. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no rape so...

      Delete
    2. Oh. I guess I was misinformed. Just mentioned then?

      Delete
    3. i did mention rape like a million times but, actual rape no, just the mention that slaves would get raped, and this idiot making threats to a fellow soldier

      Delete
  14. Hey you liked An Ember in Ashes! I have it but have been too scared to start it. YA and so much hype. Usually not a good combination...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling ;) Hype is the killer of books

      Delete
  15. I'm really leery of YA too, for pretty much for the much the same reasons you are. This one does sound interesting. I love Lisa Shearin's SPI Files, but I haven't tried anything else by her.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that one, but I just could not connect

      Delete
  16. Wow, I got really behind this week...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still have to read Raine series - but is there a triangle?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she is all ahout Mychael from the beginning, but I..want her with Tam

      Delete
  18. Hmm. I tried Ember last year but wasn't loving it. I might have to pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you did not love it at first, then hmm, dunno if it will grow on you

      Delete
  19. hahaha! I loved Commander too she was a great character. Agree on the weak spot.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP