Saturday 28 May 2016

#FitReaders Check-In: May 27, 2016 and Historical romance x3

#FitReaders is hosted by Geeky Bloggers Book Blog  and That’s What I’m Talking About.
Join in!

Sun 12 km bike
Mon  22 km bike
Tue  4 km bike, 30 min walk
Wed  4 km bike, 30 min walk
Thu  10 km bike, 30 min walk
Fri 4 km bike, 30 min walk
Sat 1 h walk, 4 km bike



.........................

Artemisia Dalrymple Pelham-Smythe doesn’t give two figs for the ton’s opinions on propriety. She wants to be taken seriously as an artist, so the widowed Duchess of Southwycke is painting the entire Roman pantheon in glorious nudes. The man who arrived to pose for her is far too muscular and virile to fit her vision of a cherubic Cupid, so she’ll simply turn him into Mars.

Trevelyn Deveridge never expected to pose naked to serve Queen and country, but the trail of the elusive Mr. Beddington leads right to the door of the duchess. Unless Trev retrieves Beddington’s key, a whole string of operatives in India are in danger of discovery. Since he’s convinced Her Grace can point him in the right direction, he's left with little choice but to play along with her artistic endeavors.

Besides, when a lady asks a gentleman to disrobe, how can he refuse? 

My thoughts:
Oh those spies in historical romance ;)

Artemisia is an artist and paints nekkid men, fine, nudes ;) They are still naked whatever you call it missy. So you can understand if the Ton is shocked, but she is a Duchess and she does not give a F*ck what they think.

Trevelyn is a spy, a second son, and at the moment posing naked in front of a Duchess and pretending he is a nobody. He was rather cocky, I mean hello, she only paints men! She does not sleep with them, and he is all I know you want this! *eyeroll* She should have slapped him and sent him on his way. But alas this is a romance so she gives in.

But oh no, drama!

Oh no, there is a key and people after it.

And then they lived happily ever after.

Nice 

Kindle Edition, 230 pages
Published April 9th 2012 by Ten Talents Press (first published February 26th 2008)
How to #1
Historical romance
Own

Violet Winterbottom is a quiet girl. She speaks six languages, but seldom raises her voice. She endured bitter heartbreak in perfect silence. The gentlemen aren't beating down her door.

Until the night of the Spindle Cove Christmas ball, when a mysterious stranger crashes into the ballroom and collapses at Violet's feet. His coarse attire and near-criminal good looks would put any sensible young lady on her guard. He's wet, chilled, bleeding, and speaking in an unfamiliar tongue.

Only Violet understands him. And she knows he's not what he seems.

She has one night to draw forth the secrets of this dangerously handsome rogue. Is he a smuggler? A fugitive? An enemy spy? She needs answers by sunrise, but her captive would rather seduce than confess. To learn his secrets, Violet must reveal hers and open herself to adventure, passion, and the unthinkable... Love.

My thoughts:
I do like Tessa Dare, but, it was ok, just ok. This was one of those examples where it should have been a book.

I did not really get the way he acted with her.
She was too nice.
I did not really get why the truth was just not told. Someone could have died!
And even though it takes place during just one night there was still passion....no, too fast!

Just ok

ebook, 113 pages
Published November 15th 2011 by Samhain Publishing
Spindle Cove #1.5
Historical romance
Own

The lives of Sir Bartlett Crosby and Hannah Chandler have been marked by fierce competition between their elite families...the perfect breeding ground for a mutual attraction neither can deny.

Bart hopes to conquer "the turf" through victory in a much-touted match. Should his heavily-favored colt win, the Crosby reputation and fortunes would be revived. Bart's plan seems poised for success until the lovely Hannah Chandler, daughter of a noted rival trainer, turns up claiming ownership of the colt. When Hannah insists on claiming her purchase, the prize colt disappears from Bart's stable. Theft or treachery? As Hannah and Bart rush to solve the mystery before race time, they uncover a scandalous truth about their families' pasts-a truth that has the potential to either destroy both their futures, or to guide them to a love they never imagined. 

My thoughts:
I was having a bad novella day. See, I like her books, but no, this one was just ok. It was a case of should have been a book.

Hannah and Bart meet, they are enemies, but look at that. They will fall fast in love.
While looking for a horse
Horses and races are boring...yup
It was too fast! I wanted more drama,

Ok

Kindle Edition, 120 pages
Published November 3rd 2015 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
Romance of the Turf 0.5
Historical romance
Own

29 comments:

  1. Great pics as always. I've never been a huge fan of historicals. Glad you enjoyed, even if not as much as you wanted.I do hope the next ones are better.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pics as always, especially when you spot new birds. What kind is that, do you know?

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea so I did have to google it. It is a Coot

      Delete
  3. Great exercise week and looks like Spring has arrived for you. I laughed last week at my blog when I was complaining about colder weather and you said something like "how cold'! Ha, of course it is all relative and by your standards not cold at all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes finally!!!
      Lol, but yes I know, for you this right nownwould be supercold, I would have called it summer yesterday ;)

      Delete
  4. Novellas can by so tricky for me, too. I guess I prefer my stories to take their time and develop, but once in a while an author has a gift to do that in a novella.

    Looks like you had some lovely weather for your exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be so rushed sometimes.

      It has been great, most of the time

      Delete
  5. I've been preferring novellas lately so I might check those last two out.

    No Lucie pic?? lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. damn it! I forgot :/ I meant to post this cute one of him in the grass again

      Delete
  6. 1) Love spies in HRs! My guilty pleasure
    2) Yuck. Too nice.
    3) Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mini reviews you have here!! I like Romaine's older books, but have had a hard time with her latest releases. I like Tessa Dare but don't love her. She tends to modernize her historical's too much. Although her older books are pretty good. I do love Mia Marlowe though and I love a good spy romance. So I am going to head on over to one click it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I like her older ones too, but I have yet to read her newer ones.

      Hmm, you might be right there about Dare

      Delete
  8. many ones there! Not a big fan of the first cover though

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy seeing your pictures and how much you walk. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pictures! Need need need to try HR. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I have both novellas - will read them eventually. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love your pictures!!! Looks like you had a good week...did you say you bike to work?

    Have a great week!
    ~Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but that is just 4 km back and forth :)

      Delete
  13. Another week in the books. That Mia Marlowe book looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What pretty pictures. My fitbit broke so I've been LAZY.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP