Wednesday 11 May 2016

The visitor - Amanda Stevens

Restoring lost and abandoned cemeteries is my profession, but I'm starting to believe that my true calling is deciphering the riddles of the dead. Legend has it that Kroll Cemetery is a puzzle no one has ever been able to solve. For over half a century, the answer has remained hidden within the strange headstone inscriptions and intricate engravings. Because uncovering the mystery of that tiny, remote graveyard may come at a terrible price.

Years after their mass death, Ezra Kroll's disciples lie unquiet, their tormented souls trapped within the walls of Kroll Cemetery, waiting to be released by someone strong and clever enough to solve the puzzle. For whatever reason, I'm being summoned to that graveyard by both the living and the dead. Every lead I follow, every clue I unravel brings me closer to an unlikely killer and to a destiny that will threaten my sanity and a future with my love, John Devlin. 

My thoughts:
It has been 3 years since the last book and how I have missed this series. I like the eerie feel to it, I would not call it horror. It doesn't give me any chills, but it's a nice southern Gothic mystery.

Amelia is haunted by things that happened in book 3. But at least she has Devlin now..but alas he has secrets, and I would love to get to the bottom of those secrets. Maybe in the next book. He is just so, no this is not real.

The mystery to solve is what happened to someone called Ezra Kroll and the people in the colony. And why is she getting dragged to solving that by something she can not control? Ohhh, nice, oh those ghosts. Amelia does not have it easy, there are things after her, it gets dark, it gets suspenseful, and the secrets never stop coming.

Conclusion:
This is a great series, and you should totally read it. 

Cover
meh

Paperback, 384 pages
Published March 29th 2016 by Mira
Graveyard Queen #4
Paranormal mystery
Own

39 comments:

  1. Boring cover of boringness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still in a funk, u struggle with fantasy too. But since this is dark and broody, I might get into it. I've been wondering how Devlin is doing after being revived

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. The cover does look a little meh, but I try not to judge them. (Even though I sometimes do. >.>) At any rate, it seems like it was a satisfying conclusion to the series for you. I like books with a little bit of spook factor, so I might just have to look into this one.

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do judge, but only if I am at a bookstore or the library ;)
      I liked the previous co vers better

      Delete
  4. I saw this one another blog, can't remember which, and I'm a little intrigued by it. I'm not normally an urban fantasy fan, but I may have to check out this first book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gonna try this series out in the fall. I just cannot read any type of horror books this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might not be a horror, but it sounds wonderfully suspenseful. I haven't heard of this series before, I'll have to look it up.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the suspense, and paranormal aspect of it :D

      Delete
  7. Yay for dark and suspenseful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds super dark and eerie....but still good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to scroll back up to see why cover was rated meh! Seems like you have a series here you really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait for the next one. So glad we don't have to wait as long for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the atmosphere in the first book as well. Not that scary, but it gave me the creeps anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it on a sunny day so no creeps, lol

      Delete
  12. I snagged the first book to the series. I love how you describe it as southern gothic. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen a few of yall who loved this one. The cover is a spot creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked this one a bit less than the others but it was a nice one

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh I love Gothic mysteries and haven't read one in the longest while.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read this author in awhile, but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not really a fan of mysteries or ghosts so probably not one for me.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like when books are written that good. But I don't think I could read it with the eerie chills. lol. I'm goofy like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a series that I need to read. I didn't realize there was such a large gap between books. Makes me glad I waited. :-)

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the author had some personal away time

      Delete
  20. Wow. From the book description, I never would have realized it is a series. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP