Monday 20 June 2016

Early Review: The curse of tenth grave - Darynda Jones

As a Part-time PI and fulltime grim reaper, Charley Davidson has asked a lot of questions throughout her life: Why can I see dead people? Who is the hot supernatural entity following me? How do I get gum out of my sister’s hair before she wakes up? But, “How do I trap not one malevolent god, but three?” was never among them. Until now. And since those gods are on earth to kill her daughter, she has little choice but to track them down, trap them, and cast them from this dimension.

There’s just one problem. One of the three stole her heart a very long time ago. Can the Razer, a god of absolute death and destruction, change his omniscient spots, or will his allegiances lie with his brothers?

Those are just a few of the questions Charley must answer, and quick. Add to that a homeless girl running for her life, an innocent man who’s been charged with murder, and a pendant made from god glass that has the entire supernatural world in an uproar, and Charley has her hands full. If she can manage to take care of the whole world-destroying-gods thing, we’re saved. If not, well… 

My thoughts:
I can write an early review since...well the same things that happened before happened again.

Charley is over her amnesia. She knows things about Reyes...and will learn more. Seriously, it just keeps on getting more and more confusing. Also I would like to see them use those powers they have. Wouldn't that be cool. They are supposedly so powerful..

I lost the thread. Right. Charley is on a case. But there are bigger things happening too, obviously. Everyone is after Beep. And that still breaks me, why oh why? Why can't they all be together!

Reyes is still mmmmm droolworthy, but the book needed more Reyes. I get that Charley is funny, but hey, more Reyes can never go wrong ;)

So yes the usual. A mystery. Some smexy time. A battle between Good and Evil. Blurry lines between Good and Evil. What is good and Evil. The whole Reyes and Charley meant to be becoming one big awww, so meant to be!

Conclusion:
But, I do feel like this series has started to stagnate. Before they got better and better, now they are sliding back again. Even if it is good, there is nothing new. They sell because they sell, and we get more. But..an ending would be good.

cover
meh

Kindle Edition, 352 pages
Expected publication: June 28th 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin
Charley Davidson #10
Urban fantasy romance
NG

35 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for the audio on this one. I thought Ninth Grave was pretty good and it looked like we were moving in the right direction. I do agree that long running series aren't usually a good thing. I don't remember how many books she has contracted for this series.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are moving along but at the same time..not so much

      Delete
    2. I have heard that there are only 12 books... not sure tho. I have become very critical of this series, but switching to audio, and the last book helped win me back. Like Melanie, I'm waiting for audio. If this one goes south again (confusing, convoluted, keeping secrets, etc.) then I'm done.

      Delete
  2. Sad to know that it didn't reach your expectation! Doesn't sound like my cup of tea! :(
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days maybe I'll get into this authors books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry this was not good for you. I am in love with this series. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Need to catch up on this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this sounds a bit disappointing!! It can be a pain when series turn downhill like this. But this hero sounds fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm I read the first one but never got onto the next one. Sometimes a series needs to wind up, or take a fresh tack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is sad, when a series begins to stagnate. My feeling is, when it starts to get into the double digits, it had better bring it! Otherwise, it might be best to think about packing it in and not outstay the welcome.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Sure I still like them, but there comes a point where I am all, eh, seen it before

      Delete
  10. One day I'll start these. Eh on it going on a little too long though :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always miss a few in the middle

      Delete
  11. I really liked some of the revelations in this one, and enjoyed being back on a case.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this one and I agree with you that they need to unleash some more 'god' powers since they have them. And more Reyes is always a good thing in my book, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can not see them as powerful sometimes

      Delete
  13. Same thing happened with the Stephanie Plum books, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you, I feel that it's become repetitive, but Charley still makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with everything you just said. Ten books in and there's still not enough action.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP