Wednesday 20 July 2016

Geist - Philippa Ballantine

Between the living and the dead is the Order of the Deacons, protectors of the Empire, guardians against possession, sentinels enlisted to ward off the malevolent haunting of the geists...

Among the most powerful of the Order is Sorcha, now thrust into partnership with the novice Deacon, Merrick Chambers. They have been dispatched to the isolated village of Ulrich to aide the Priory with a surge of violent geist activity. With them is Raed Rossin, Pretender to the throne that Sorcha is sworn to protect, and bearer of a terrible curse.

But what greets them in the strange settlement is something far more predatory and more horrifying than any mere haunting. And as she uncovers a tradition of twisted rituals passed down through the dark reaches of history, Sorcha will be forced to reconsider everything she thinks she knows.

And if she makes it out of Ulrich alive, what in Hell is she returning to? 

My thoughts:
Sorcha battles geists and more, and sends them packing. Which brings me to the world at once, I did not learn that much, so the world building lacked. And therefore I call it light fantasy, and for me light fantasy is well light, but also with a lacking world building. I would have liked more of a world, I confess to that. Still I also like a good adventure.

Sorcha was 35-40, which I liked. She was rather serious, she had a meh marriage. And she is known for being tough.

Merrick is young and sort of just of out school. Her new partner. And well...did not learn much about him,

Raed, him I liked. I felt like I got a clearer picture of him. The young pretender to the throne. We all know what happen to those. He will not get that throne. He is also cursed, and it's a bad one.

And off on an adventure they go. There are geists, some romantic feelings going around, bad people plotting, and a bigger conspiracy to unravel.

Conclusion:
It was not mindblowing or anything. And now you are all are gonna go all, sorry you did not like it...I did like it. It was good, just not mindblowing. So it was good, and I am curious what will happen in the next one. On my wishlist it goes. Light fantasy is fun to read sometimes.

Cover
cool

Mass Market Paperback, 294 pages
Published October 26th 2010 by Ace
Book of the Order #1
Fantasy
Own

38 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like it... lol. No, really, I know what it's like when a book leaves you lukewarm. You liked it well enough, but it just didn't reach you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it even though it was meh, in your opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I like the sound of the characters in this one and a bit of light fantasy I never turn my nose up at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the not mindblowing but enjoyed it :) Hope the next one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea I do think this one gets better as it goes along and I did enjoy them. I still need to read #4. I might also need to do a reread at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 2 is on my wishlist :) So xmas hopefully

      Delete
  6. There are definitely times where a nice, fun book like this is what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gonna go with a bit darker stuff today so this was needed

      Delete
  7. I've had books like that where I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. I know I would like more world building, but if the characters are good, I'll still be okay with it. Glad you enjoyed it, even if you didn't love it.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ok with less world, but I do find it hard to love something then

      Delete
  8. Philippa Ballantine has been on my "must try this author" list for ages. Maybe this is a good place to start, I love the sound of a light, fun fantasy.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try her steampunk one and was not a fan of that one, so yes I would recommend this one more

      Delete
  9. A shame this one didn't blow you away, but I get what you mean... If the world building was done better you would've enjoyed it more!

    Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree it's nice to have a heroine of that age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can still kick ass, and she is certainly not old...of course in a pseudo fantasy world she would have been since people died younger there..*coughs*

      Delete
  11. I'm cool with light world building in fantasy as long as it a good story overall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I am so glad you finally tried this one! I LOVE this series, and agree with Melissa that it gets better and better with each one.

    I do have to disagree tho, with your assessment of the lack of world building... From what I recall, I had to keep notes to keep all the moving parts and mythology/world parts straight. I suppose I don't read enough hardcore fantasy, and that may be why. Or it could be that I am remembering all the books as a whole, but the world and mythology is very complex to me! I hope you get and enjoy the second book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep on reading then :)

      If you feel like that then good :) But alas for me, for me I want more. I am used to these epic worlds with milennia of history. I can feel the sand under my feet and know how to greet soméone in 5 languages...hehe

      Delete
  13. She is so hit/miss for me. However, I have liked many things I haven't found mind blowing so glad you liked it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting to see an older heroine as the lead of a fantasy book. I haven't read any of those, but I'm interested. I won't start from here though because overall it seems to be a bit meh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Despite the lack of world building I am glad you enjoyed it, maybe book 2 will be mind blowing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. An older heroine? Nice! That is different for a book in this genre. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this cover and I'm glad you liked this one! I only hope the next one is mindblowing and doesn't disappoint in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You learn more of each character in the next books. I'm currently reading the third and final book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP