Friday 29 July 2016

Pleasure and Purpose - Megan Hart

The handmaidens of the Order of Solace are each named for the exquisite service that best reflects their true calling. Their greatest delight is giving pleasure?devoted as they are to fulfilling the desires of the mind, the needs of the soul, and the cravings of the body. 

Meet Stillness, called upon to soothe the conscience of a man in need of redemption after a shocking act from his sexual past. Then there's Honesty, whose vow of Solace is to a prince looking for a submissive handmaiden. Instead, he gets the unexpected. And finally, Determination, a handmaiden confronted with a client lost in a haze of random sex and drugs. She has just the plan to literally whip her man into shape. 

My thoughts:
Now why do I read E Rom when I am a such well known smex scene skimmer? Well I have had the book for years and I thought why not! Since it always sounded good to me, and it was all before I knew that I was a serial skimmer.

And it was good, really good in fact. If I actually liked these sort of books it would surely have been a 4, now I really can't give it that, since I do not. I mean...they do do it a lot ;)

I liked the world, they may call itself whatever they want, they still bring most of their solace in the form of sex. So temple prostitutes then, many cultures have had those. That is where the smexy times come in. 

This is a 3 novellas in a book, they are all connected, as 3 friends finds solace, and true love with Handmaidens.

It was light, I liked that it was a fantasy E romance. No real worldbuilding, but that does not matter here. I mean hello, it was novellas that had a lot of smex. 

I enjoyed the stories, and to see these unlikely pairs fall in love and find that solace.  Just a bit too much smex for me, whips and all.

Cover
Boring

Paperback, 368 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Berkley
Order of Solace #1
Erot fantasy romance
Own

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Work on Monday *cries*

      Delete
  2. Not sure I'd like this one, but sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I'd really like it since there's no world building. Then again, the couples all find solace, which I guess is the point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is not really any time for worldbuilding since they are novellas, and half of them is about them having sex

      Delete
  4. Oh I love Fantasy and the cover is nothing to write about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. I do that in some erotica novels as well - which is kind of stupid, if you think about it. I mean, sex scenes are kind of necessary in Erotica. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is why I do not read it, lol, I mean it means lots of skimming. I try to stay clear of them

      Delete
  6. I need my world building in my fantasy, which is probably why I tend to stay away from these kinds of books, which is, as you say, more focused on the smex, lol! I'm glad it was good though, seemed like a nice break from heavier reads!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the worldbuilding is shitty in epic fantasy then there is NO excuse. If it lacks in fantasy romance I can live with it, it's not like I read that for the fantasy, I read that for romance. But in those in betweens that sometimes is called fantasy romance, no, those need heavy worldbuilding. Cos if your romance is not up front then work on your world. And here, well it was about sexy times, and then I can forgive it.

      Delete
  7. I like novellas like this that are connected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha I am a serial smex scene skimmer too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah I can understand the feeling of too much I'm the same

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like fantasy with romance, but not at the cost of world-building and other characteristics so I think I'll be skipping out on this one after all. Thanks for such a helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a fantasy romance so you really can't compare. I did not complain about the lack, I just said there were not much. More would have ruined it.
      They only had 100 pages to fall in love, hard to believe as it is. 99 % of that time was spent in a house/room/palace. 60 % was spent in bed, the rest either thinking of doing it or a bit of court intrigue

      Delete
  11. I don't mind sex scenes but in erotica/BDSM I get kind of bored when it's non stop lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not mind them, I just ...other things more, lol

      Delete
  12. When I saw the cover, I was all O.o what is she thinking?! haha. Megan Hart is a very good author, so glad you were able to somewhat enjoy thru all the "you know."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sure I skimmed those parts, but it was all really good

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP