Monday 18 July 2016

Vigil - Angela Slatter

Verity Fassbinder has her feet in two worlds. The daughter of one human and one Weyrd parent, she has very little power herself, but does claim unusual strength - and the ability to walk between us and the other - as a couple of her talents. As such a rarity, she is charged with keeping the peace between both races, and ensuring the Weyrd remain hidden from us.

But now Sirens are dying, illegal wine made from the tears of human children is for sale - and in the hands of those Weyrd who hold with the old ways - and someone has released an unknown and terrifyingly destructive force on the streets of Brisbane.

And Verity must investigate - or risk ancient forces carving our world apart. 

My thoughts:
This could be UF, but I do not want to group it with that, because it is just so much more and different. The author herself says she writes dark fantasy, so dark urban fantasy mystery then. If you read UF you know how those go, kick-ass, fast etc etc. But this was fiction traced with the weyrd. Read it find out.

First we do have to start with Fassbinder, I had to google it, it means Cooper. What? I had to, mostly to see if it had something do do with her dad's occupation. Ahem. No, but he was a kinderfresser, and if you want to know what that is then you have to read this book. If you are well versed in German myths you might have heard of them.

When I have that out of the way. Verity can walk both worlds, Weyrd and Normal. They live among us, and for the most part cause no trouble.  But it is very us and them. She is the one the Weyrd sends out to deal with things, she is the one that deals with the cop that knows about them. The two mysteries she has to solve is who is stealing children and who is killing sirens. The first one brings her back to her past, the second one, well who can make a woman with wings fall to her death? Intriguing.  It was a good mystery, and it brought us deep into this world. Which was great because I wanted to know more about the Weyrd and I did.

Verity herself was a nice heroine, mostly because even though she has quite the strength inherited from her dad, she was just normal you know. There are those heroines that are all kick-ass, but Verity felt normal. Which is why this book was more fantasy fiction in that aspect. It felt like there is this underworld to the streets of Brisbane. Oh, which I totally loved too. It's nice to read some Au fic for once.

I lost my train of thought, in the middle of my review! I could go on and on...

It was a good book, one that you have to take your time with. Some books should not be rushed, which does not mean that I did not read it in a day. Sure I read it in a day, but I took it slow. To savor it.

Conclusion:
I look forward to more in this world. Great potential there.

Cover
nice


Kindle Edition, 351 pages
Published July 7th 2016 by Jo Fletcher Books
Urban fantasy Mystery
For review

31 comments:

  1. It has some interesting origins, though way over my head. Lol. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like something that is right up my alley. Adds to TBR and off to check to see if there is an audio version. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, if done right the audio could be so good

      Delete
  3. Ok! So this book was kinda slow! Ugh! Not my cup of tea! 😣
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not sloooow, just a book that took me longer, but I still read it in a day

      Delete
  4. I love to take my time with fantasy, it usually turns out well. I just recently finished one like that and it was so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like "the Edge" premise.

    But "illegal wine made from the tears of human children is for sale" scares me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Andrews one? Those were cool, but there is no other dimension here, they all live in the same city

      Delete
  7. I like it when I read a book with different worlds in it. I like that this book has both our world and another one. Sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's just our world, they all live in our world

      Delete
  8. oh this sounds good!!! love a book you can sink into and not rush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh something different! I do think I'd like a dark UF mystery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm intrigued by the two worlds aspect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad, I should have explained it better. The walking of two worlds means she is just as home with normals as with weyrds. it all happens in Brisbane

      Delete
  11. Great review. I still haven't read UF, but I will make time for it eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently read her novella published by Tor.com and it was wonderful. I really want to read more by her now, I hope I'll have time to fit this one in.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked her novella, then I am sure you will like this one too

      Delete
  13. I was just checking out this book the other day. I wasn't sure about the dark, because I'm in a lighter mood for the summer, but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not dark dark, so I'd say it is good for the summer

      Delete
  14. Oooooh. I like the sounds of the blend here. Seems like it's something I would really enjoy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. :D Not what I expected of this one! Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP