Sunday 21 August 2016

Joint Discussion of book and movie: Me Before You

This month we are shaking it up a bit! It is a battle of BOOK VS MOVIE! *cue the dundundaaa music* We decided to check out 'Me Before You'. I watched the movie and Carole read the book. 
Author: Jojo Moyes 
Title: Me Before You (Me Before You #1)
Genre: Romance & Fiction
Pages: ebook
First Published: January 5th 2012
Where I Got It: Borrowed from library

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.


Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.


What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


Length: 1h 50 min

Released:  June 2016
Genre: Romance
Rating: PG-13

Where I Got It: Seen at the Theaters


A girl in a small town forms an unlikely bond with a recently-paralyzed man she's taking care of.


TRAILER:



C: So...the movie. What did you think about the cast they had? 


B: Well, the guy in the wheelchair did not do much really. GoT blondie was superhappy all the time, hey even I can play superhappy ;) Neville Longbottom was HAWT. Damn. Oh wait...yes it worked, good cast.



C: Mhmmmm he did grow up hot. I was worried about him, but he did do a turn around. He played the boyfriend, Pat, right? Was he an ahole like he was in the book?



B: I would not say he was an ahole in the movie. He was just reeeeeeally focused on his running.


C: What about Lou? How was she portrayed? Was she awkward and have a crazy wardrobe? 


B: Such a crazy wardrobe, though some things were cute, some things were sooooo ugly. But she was awkward, happy and clumsy.


C: Now...Will. What about him? While reading I had a very distinct picture in my head. Was he sarcastic and brunette? I honestly pictures James Franco as him. LOLLL I’m not sure who they even casted as the actor. 


B: Sam Caflin? He was sad, stared out his window, he did not want her there, but hey I got that. He is stuck in that thing and can’t even lift a finger. He was depressed. I just felt sorry for him. Also...I remember him as blond? Now I have to check that.


C: Honestly...you can’t blame him for being depressed! I would be absolutely miserable. So, in the film, he was completely unable to move? In the book he could move his head and neck a bit. One arm he could move his fingers and wrist. 


B: Oh he was a brunette, my bad ;) But his head a little yes, but that was it…


C: Interesting that they made that change! In the book he just couldn’t move the forearm, arm part, so he had to be fed still. I wonder why they did that? Easier in away instead of trying to explain it. Make it sadder? Mhmm. Even though it didn’t need to be sadder. >__>


B: I guess it was easier that he could not move anything, and never would be able to. Sad, depressing, and a movie that made me cry. Sigh, I hate crying movies. How was the book with the crying bit? Gods, it hit me hard in the movie.


C: I was fine until the last part of the last chapter and the epilogue. The rest of the book I had hope. DAMMIT HOPE! But there was until the end and then I cried like a baby. I do have an essential question…..did they include the scene with the tattoos??????? I feel that was essential even  though it was like 4 pages. 


B: I do not really have an idea what you are talking about...so no.


C: Gah. :/ Maybe it’s going to be a deleted scene. Sighssssss. 


B: Now I want to know! But yes I guess they cut a lot.


C: In book exclusive. ;D It was depressingly funny. That is all I will say. But yes, the book was in the POV of Lou. There were a couple of chapters where they branched off and did a few pages of Will’s dad’s and then Lou’s sister. OH! They did a couple of pages of Nathan’s too, which I liked. 


B: Just here POV here, I would have liked his but I am sure that would have been painfully depressing. His dad and mum had as much screen time, and her sister was only there for Lou to talk with.


C: Seems about right. Will’s parents had some good “book time” too. Especially the mom. Will’s sister made a couple of appearances, but she was nonessential in my opinion. She was a pain and not very helpful in ANYTHING. Selfish brode. Same with Lou’s sister. I didn’t like her. She was selfish and she was helpful once in a while to Lou, but she was a brat overall. 


B: I am sorry...he had a sister? Not here, that is why it was so sad. Their only child paralysed and depressed. This really was Lou’s movie, her pain, which was kind of bad, others were sad too.


C: Yes, yes. In the book he had a sister Georgiana (spell?). However, he might as well had been a single child. Woman moved to Australia and was “too busy” to visit. She came like twice to see him. But yes, the same in book, it was Lou’s book. At first I was annoyed with her, but I did end up liking her and feeling bad. She liked him alot and she really wanted to help. 


B: I felt she was not that smart, she got really surprised to hear that he would never walk again (or at least be better in some areas). Omg, that is what the name means. Silly woman.


C: Yeaaaaa Lou wasn’t the brightest of the bright. However, I think that was part of her charm. She was probably book smart in school, but she is naive. I’m glad she had some flaws. Made me like her. I think that is why Will liked her too in the end. He had the “perfect” girlfriend and see how that ended up???? Poor Will. 


B: In the movie I saw it another way, he had clearly chased her away, and I could understand her leaving. Who would want to stay with someone who does not want to talk to you. It must have been heartbreaking for her too. But yes he was sad about it, but I also think he did it cos he knew they could have no future. It was wrong towards her.


C: Maybe in the movie the ex tried harder. But from what it sounded like in the book, she tried for a couple of months and then booked it. LIKE LADY! He JUST became this way….he needs time. And then she found comfort with his ex bestie. Way to add salt to the wound. There wasn’t another dude you could have been with? Why the bestie? >_< 


B: Here I just assumed they find comfort with each other. It was never said how they broke up. I just got the feeling cos that is how he was towards everyone else.


C: He was an arse to everyone in the book too. But the ex left only after a couple of months. I would have stuck around and told him to shut up. LOL But now….the ending. Without spoilers...was it what you expected?


B: Sort of yes...that is all I am saying. I just did not expect such a sad ending. A heartbreaking ending. I really do not know what I hoped for.


C: Same. I had hope, but a part of me knew there was little to zero hope. It did not end how I thought. Poor Lou. I do want to see if she does push forward and do what Will asked her to do. 


B: She brought it on herself, she was awfully naive about everything. But I can not blame her.


C: You can’t help who you fall for. Honestly, Will helped her become a stronger and more bold young lady. Helped her realize dreams and all that. The title fits and now I understand it. 


B: It does fit...sad sad sad. Who would not cry watching this movie or reading the book.


C: Heartless creatures would not! At least a single tear is required! I do want to watch the movie pretty badly. The book was AMAZING! The beginning was a wee slow, but after she meets Will it became addicting. I had to read forward. I’m honestly giving the book a 5. What about the movie??


B: Eh, a 3. It was good, but it was not amazing or anything. A 3 is good :) You know me. I would not read the book, I can not go back. But if I read a book I can watch the movie but not the other way around.


C: I’m the same sometimes. However, I do recommend the book. The book was really good. LOL. 


B: I do wonder...damn library for only having one copy. That is evil. I wonder how the audio is since none of us did that.



C: I listened to some of the audio….but it wasn’t moving fast enough for me, so I shut it off and read the book. LOL No patience, that is why it is rare for me to listen to the audio. xD


B: Aha, interesting. Good to know.


C: :D So...any more questions, thoughts, concerns, or mentions? I’m out of coffee D:


B: Not really. It was a good movie. But be prepared to cry, so have tissues nearby.


C: Same with the book. Tissues and a long night...you will not stop reading x_x


B: What next then? I believe it is my turn. No crying book this time ;)


C: LOL yes. No sad book. It is your turn. I do apologize for making you cry ;D Maybe a comedy….or romance or actiony. LOL All you girl!


B: At least I have seen it now, since everyone have been talking about it.


C: Yup! I read it...now I have to see it. The end?


B: Omg, wait, there is a book 2?!


C: Maybe it is a continuation of Lou’s story?????!!!!! *looking it up*


B: It is called After you. Her story continues......


C: Right. Yes. I knew about it. But I didn’t know, know. LOL Yes. It continues on with Lou and her life after. I need to read it. 


B: Interesting...the library does have one English copy….maybe we should do this for next month?


C: I’m fine with it. :D Or do we want to do a different book for Sept and save that October? Maybe give you time to read the first one. Hehehehe


B: Sure, i will keep an eye out for it (someone had it). The end :D



22 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I wonder if I would cry. I'm one of those heartless people lol I always feel manipulated so I don't fall into the story.
    But I did cry at the end of Fault in Our Stars even though I hated the characters lol
    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not cry at the end of that movie ;)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of this book or the movie before now. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am debating whether or not to read and watch this movie!!! I am not big on sad endings though---I really can't stand them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I hate changes :( but I know they're inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how silly of me, I didn't even realize the movie was based on the book!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh I need to watch the movie. I read the book, so it'll be interesting to see the differences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder about this one but I think I would prefer to read it for now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the book but since I know what happens I've been avoiding the film. I read After You and thought it a good follow-up. I was worried it would be disappointing but it was entertaining and satisfied my curiosity of what happened to Lou. I'd recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, knowing and then watching....do tell me if you do

      And yes I really must read it

      Delete
  9. Wanted to add that I had almost three years between reading the two books. By that time I was ready to find out how Lou was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cried for a really long time after I read the book. When I saw the movie I cried, but it was a little easier since I was prepared. I thought for sure that it would end differently while I was reading. I hate Patrick! That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would end differently too, such hopes we have

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP