Wednesday 17 August 2016

The Texicans - Nina Vida

When cholera strikes San Antonio in 1843, Aurelia Ruiz discovers that she might have the power to heal—and also to curse. Meanwhile, Joseph Kimmel, a schoolteacher in Missouri and the son of a Polish Jew, learns of his brother’s death in San Antonio and sets off for Texas. On his way, a runaway slave steals his horse. After being rescued by Henry Castro, a man who is importing immigrants to populate his planned city, Castroville, Joseph agrees to marry a young Alsatian girl to save her from a Comanche chief who has demanded her. Then Joseph encounters Aurelia and becomes enamored with her. 

Comanches, Tonkaways, Mexican vaqueros, immigrant farmers, and runaway slaves all play a part in Joseph’s rebirth as a rancher, but when a renegade band of Texas Rangers descends upon the ranch, everything changes. 

My thoughts:
This book was just sort of depressing, yup a real downer. No one was made really likable either, yes yes it is good that people have flaws, but can't just one person be happy for like a minute?!

The story was, well it could have been good, but it really did not live up to its potential. It did not flow, it just came out in short bits.

I did sort of like Aurelia, but she is never really there, and you never get under her skin. You never get under anyone's skin.

Why did I keep on reading, eh, I wished for more, it was hot and I was too lazy to move from the lawn.

Paperback, 295 pages
Published October 1st 2007 by Soho Press
Historical fiction
Own

42 comments:

  1. Well that sucks. It sounds like a bore of a book and unlikeable characters! Yikes!
    Sorry this wasn't for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, it's too bad it was a disappointment for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too lazy to move so I finished the book lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I had the same problem with the book yesterday

      Delete
  4. Hm... yea, I don't think this one is for me... but then again if I was too comfy, I'd probably continue reading it as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go inside, find a new book, miss this? nah

      Delete
  5. LOL about finishing it because lazy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww hope your next one is better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...it doesn't sound very promising. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I really struggle with those depressing reads---they rarely work for me. I like seeing some happy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been good, but it was so choppy and sad

      Delete
  9. All of those diverse characters, and it was a dud? I would have picked this up on the description alone, now I just don't want to bother. And it's one of my favorite genres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had a great premise, but did not live up to it

      Delete
  10. I am definitely skipping this one. I can't do down and depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a fan of westerns, but I'm thinking more action and adventure. Yeah, this sounds too depressing for me.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was more depressing and everyone were aholes

      Delete
  12. Disappointing all that time and energy invested into something that did not make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laughing because as I was reading your review I was thinking well why didn't she just dnf it. I see the weather played a part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know, sucha DNF, the summer played tricks with me

      Delete
  14. Sorry to hear it wasn't better. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not really motivated to read a depressing book right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an okayish read! Not my thing! :(
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no..hope the next book is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry it wasn't a great read. You gave it a good chance though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like this should have made your DNF list?! Sorry is wasn't what you hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That doesn't sound fun :/ I like the title, though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gah. It did sound good...but eh.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP