Tuesday 28 February 2017

Happy People read and drink coffee

Diane has a charmed life as a wife, a mother and the owner of a literary café in Paris called Happy People Read and Drink Coffee. But when Diane suddenly loses her beloved husband and daughter in a car accident her perfect world is shattered. Trapped and haunted by her memories, Diane withdraws from friends and family, unable and unwilling to move forward.

One year on, Diane shocks her loved ones by leaving Paris to move to a small town on the Irish coast to rebuild her life alone. There she meets Edward, a brooding, handsome photographer who lives next door. Initially Edward resents Diane’s intrusion into his solitary life, but before long they find themselves drawn to each other . . .

My thoughts:
This was a short emotional read. Diane is a wreck, it has been a year since she lost her husband and child. Her business, a cafe´-bookstore is falling to pieces (yes maybe not trust your partner to hold the reins). But then again she does not care about anything. And I understand, her life fell to pieces. It's hard to pick yourself up again and start living.

So she goes to Ireland. Awww, awesome choice there. I would love to visit Ireland and it was amusing when she saw the differences between Parisians and the Irish. Also she sure felt French with her love of ciggies, and thinking of wine. 

The book is her trying to live again, to find the will to live and it really is about her. Yes she meets other people, but this is someone who is trying to find something inside of herself that tells her that life can be worth living.

The blurb tells about a man, and yes there is an annoying man that she gets to know. But this is not a romance, and do not expect a romance. A man can not cure something she has to find out for herself. New love is not always the answer to everything. Life is not always that simple. But it was a nice turn of events cos that man was grumpy! So very grumpy, and his grumpiness makes her mad. And any feeling at this point is a good feeling.

Conclusion:
It was short and nice. I enjoyed it.

Cover
Nice

Paperback, 272 pages
Published June 1st 2016 by Allen & Unwin (first published December 2012)
Original Title: Les gens heureux lisent et boivent du café
Fiction
For review

32 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Ireland is a great setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love an Irish setting too. The book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds kind of sad but ultimately uplifting...That's a lot to go through.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the sad stuff but the trip to Ireland sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could get into this. Women's fiction is something else, it's almost always so moving and it starts so ordinary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do think I like a good self-discovery chick lit. I might have to see if my library has this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah sounds like me. And throw in a grumpy man as well! Have enjoyed Ireland in the past, lovely scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. No, it was never sad, It had happened. it was over

      Delete
  9. Oh it sounds like a very emotional, at times heart-wrenching read. I would not have expected that from the cute title.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not really call it sad. She is lingering in sadness, but moves onward

      Delete
  10. wgy not I didn't know about this one

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks interesting, emotional. It isn't easy to move on. But Ireland, interesting choice

    ReplyDelete
  12. That title...so true. This sounds interesting, but I might need some chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds sweet but too emotional for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say it was ever emotionally high

      Delete
  14. Oh my. I wasn't expecting it to be an emotional book by looking at just the cover (I know I shouldn't do that). I love the cover! I don't really like sad books though...
    www.bookaholicreflections.com (new url, same blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do adore that cover, and it still fits. She is just there

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP