Friday 21 April 2017

Tyrant's Throne - Sebastien de Castell

Would you - could you? - uphold the law at the cost of those you love?

After years of struggle and sacrifice, Falcio val Mond, First Cantor of the Greatcoats, is on the brink of fulfilling his dead King's dream: Aline, the King's daughter, is about to take the throne and restore the rule of law once and for all.

But for the Greatcoats, nothing is ever that simple. In the neighbouring country of Avares, an enigmatic new warlord is uniting the barbarian armies which have long plagued Tristia's borders - and even worse, he is rumoured to have a new ally: Trin, who's twice tried to kill Aline to take the throne for herself. With the armies of Avares at her back, she'll be unstoppable.

Falcio, Kest and Brasti race north to stop her, but in those cold and treacherous climes they discover something altogether different, and far more dangerous: a new player is planning to take the throne of Tristia, and the Greatcoats, for all their skill, may not be able to stop him.

As the nobles of Tristia and even the Greatcoats themselves fight over who should rule, the Warlord of Avares threatens to invade. It is going to fall to Falcio to render the one verdict he cannot bring himself to decide: does he crown the girl he vowed to put on the throne, or uphold the laws he swore to serve? 

My thoughts:
Ok so I totally started this one the moment I got it. Not a second to loose. I dove right back into this world. And damn, it did throw quite the surprise at me.

The country is still a mess. I mean seriously, how can they ever make it better?! The Dukes are arguing. The Queen is a teen. And the common folk just want food on their table. But they have all made it this far, I am sure they can make it to the end then.

Falcio is just so rightful. It's gonna be the death of him. I am glad he has Kest and Brasti at his side. They make quite the force. No one can stop them. They are my fav 3 musketeers for sure ;) No one holds a candle to them. He is a good main character for sure.

And all the side characters I have come to like.  They really make the world and they are their own. They are fleshed out and easy to like...and hate. Damn that Trin, I just want for someone to end her.

Like I said before, there is a new baddie, it made for an interesting twist. And then there was that thing that happened too. I did not see it coming, but then again I always saw it coming one way or another.

I guess this was the final installment then? Sad. But it ended well, all those threads pulled together and I was happy with what I got.

A great series with awesome characters and an interesting world of saints and gods. Of intrigues and war. Assassinations and danger. The righteous and fallen. And there is always that feeling that makes you unable to stop reading. You have to race to the end to see if they all make it through this time around. Because you never know. 

Conclusion:
I do recommend this series. It is impossible to put down when you have started it.

Hardcover, 512 pages
Published April 20h 2017 by Jo Fletcher Books
Greatcoats #4
Fantasy
For review

29 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I am ready to read a story like this one but it sure sounds pretty interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you started as soon as you got it. And I'm glad you liked it. Always sad when a series ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! One of those that you start reading while walking back from the mailbox eh? Sounds good though I don't go in for this type of read so much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Gods, those are just the best ones

      Delete
  4. A series...I am not sure I am ready to start a new series. Four parts, that's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like a series that really hooked you, with great characters, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed! Just received my review copy and I cannot wait to read this! I love this series soooo much :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when you have to start reading a book as soon as you get your hands on it. I am so glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I was happy with it, as it was the end and all

      Delete
  8. Hmm, this is new to me and sounds fun. And I love villains like that even if I hate 'em at the same time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this series but I love fantasy so I'm definitely going to add this to my TBR! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad it ended well. I've been meaning to start it, I guess it the last books out, now's the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read anything like this but glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm. Sounds like one to try. I have a few (several) fantasies here I need to get to. I'm feeling the mood starting to come around. Maybe in a few weeks. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP