Sunday 1 May 2016

Carole's Sunday Review: The Immortal highlander

Author: Karen Marie Moning
Titles: The Immortal Highlander (Highlander #6)
Genre: Paranormal Romance & Fantasy
Pages: 348
First Published: January 1st 2004
Where I Got It: On my shelf (Purchased at B&N)

With his long, black hair and dark, mesmerizing eyes, Adam Black is Trouble with a capital T. Immortal, arrogant, and intensely sensual, he is free to roam across time and continents in pursuit of his insatiable desires. That is, until a curse strips him of his immortality and makes him invisible, a cruel fate for so irresistible a man. Now Adam's only hope for survival is in the hands of the one woman who can actually see him.


Enter law student Gabrielle O'Callaghan. For Gabrielle, cursed with the ability to see both worlds, Mortal and Faery, it is the beginning of a long, dangerous seduction. But as Adam's quest to regain his immortality plunges them into a world of timeless magic, the price of surrender could be their very lives. Unless they can thwart the conspiracy that threatens both Mortal and Faery realms...and give them a shot at a destiny few mortals ever know: glorious, wondrous, endless love... 




Now, this is the 6th installment in the series. I do recommend reading book 4 and book 5 before diving into this book. There is some history in those two books that are needed to truly understand Adam Black and how we got to this point. 

This has been the story I've been waiting for since book 1! The faery rogue named Adam Black has met his match with Gabby during his punishment by the faery Queen. I have a love-hate relationship with him since book 1. He is a selfish jerk sometimes, but other times he has a heart of gold. Having him be invisible and stripping 99% of his powers was indeed the best punishment for him. However...he was punished for doing a non-selfish thing. I felt bad, but it was karma for all the bad things he had done in the past. Damn lovable rogue. 

I felt bad for Gabby. All she wanted was a normal life, but she and her family have been cursed with being able to see faeries, but having to conceal it and hide their powers or the faeries will kill them. She is also forced to hide it from the humans because they will call her a nut. Tough life. 

The story was fun. It was fun seeing a woman not fall head-over-heels with Adam Black. He had to actually earn her and her love. Good. It humbled him a bit. 

My only issue with the book was the lulls in between the action. There was lots and lots of talking. Yes, some bits were boring which I am not accustomed to with this author!! I had to do some skimming. There was a potential for lots of action, but I was denied it. Especially at the climax. The major action was skipped over and I felt denied. I'm really bummed. 

Also, I have mixed feelings about the ending. I liked it, but then I didn't. I'm really on the fence. 

In the end, this was okay. It was nice to finally see Adam Black find his HEA and also be humbled at the same time. I liked Gabby and they were a good fit. The story was rather slow for my liking in this series. Sadly, this wasn't my favorite like I was thinking it might be. Still good, not my favorite. Hopefully this isn't a foreshadow to the demise of the series. There are still two books left that I need to read. *fingers crossed* I do recommend this series to those that like a mixture of fantasy, romance, time travel, history, and paranormal! Its a good series. I can't wait to read the next one. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 3.








19 comments:

  1. Oh so this was the fantasy romance, I read one of these...something about a Fey..something

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you read the first two of the series....you need to continue. ;)

      Delete
  2. I can't remember which ones I have read in this series as it was a while back but I loved them and would reread the series no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have two left before I'm done.

      Delete
  3. I haven't gotten around to reading this author yet, but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is good! She has another series I want to check out.

      Delete
  4. It has been so long since I read this one. I remember this one not being my favorite, which was a shame. I really wanted Adam Black's story from the beginning too. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The others are way better, but I do love Adam.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I do need to read this series. He does sound quite the rogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good series for sure! He is a lovable and sometimes annoying rogue.

      Delete
  6. I still haven't tried this author I know shocking :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late in this series. have read some, need to read others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was late in the series too. I'm surprised it took me so long to find it!

      Delete
  8. I still need to try this author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you still liked it. There tends to be one or two in a series that falls a little shorter than the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still haven't read anything by this author O_O

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adam!!! I loved this one :D He was quite the hero.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP