Thursday 14 July 2016

Temptation Ridge and The Body at the Tower

Shelby McIntyre has big plans—plans that include finding Mr. Right. Her dream man will have a clean-shaven jaw, creases in his pants and hopefully and advanced degree. What she gets is rugged Luke Riordan.

At twenty-five, after five years as her mother's caregiver, it's time for Shelby to experience freedom and adventure. Time for travel, college and romance. But when she visits Virgin River, she runs into Luke Riordan, decidedly not whom she has in mind.

A handsome Blackhawk pilot, Luke exited the army after twenty years, four wars and having been shot out of the sky three times. At thirty-eight he's tough and jaded. His major was in one-night stands, with a minor in commitment avoidance.

Technically, these two are all wrong for one another. But sometimes what you want and what you need are two different things…two very good things. 

My thoughts:
I always said I would read a Carr, and now I did.

But so many stories and people! And since it's a series, I mean yikes how many people showed up! I did not feel lost, I just wished it could have been more focused on Luke and Shelby. Now I had to care about a bunch of other peeps too. Like Shelby's uncle who is having a romance with a a movie star. And this woman who meets a doctor (can't say more there). And then there are people who found love in previous books.

Shelby, a 25 year old who has not lived, but taken care of her mother, is the one looking for love.
And then there is a 38 year old veteran who is all, no love for me. You know one of those men who thinks they know best, and you just wanna hit them (fine, yes I want to hit everyone!). Because they always think they know what the woman should do, but in reality everyone is happier as it is.

So they meet, fall in love, have their romance in this small knit community. They have their drama and then they live happily ever after.

Conclusion:
Good

Cover
meh

Paperback, 400 pages
Published June 22nd 2010 by Mira (first published 2009)
Virgin River #6
Contemporary romance
'Own

Now nearly a full-fledged member of the Agency, the all-female detective unit operating out of Miss Scrimshaw's Academy for Girls, Mary Quinn is back for another action-packed adventure. Disguised as a poor apprentice builder and a boy, she must brave the grimy underbelly of Victorian London - as well as childhood fear, hunger, and constant want - to unmask the identity of a murderer. Assigned to monitor a building site on the clock tower of the Houses of Parliament, Mary earns the confidence of the work crew, inching ever nearer her suspect. But if an irresistible desire to help the city's needy doesn't distract her and jeopardize her cover, unexpectedly meeting up with an old friend - or flame - just might.

A suspenseful and evocative window into a fascinating moment in history, The Body at the Tower is the much-anticipated second outing with a daring young detective. 

My thoughts:
I did not read book 1, but I felt it worked anyway. I quickly got into the world, but of course when this guy showed up I did wonder what had happened between them in book 1.

BUT, I know they said she was not big, but still, how does a 17 year old get away pretending to be a 12 year old? See I never get that in books, mostly cos when I was 12 I could not have played a 12 year old boy. Damn, they were short, it took them to like 16 to get near me in height. And then there is the whole thing that something recognizes her and likes her and I was all euwww, she is dressed and pretends to be a 12 year old boy. I know you know she is a woman, but still, that is nasty. I could not get behind that budding maybe one day romance.

As for the book...Mary is part of an agency of spies (women), and she is on a case. Who killed this guy, wow, the road there was long and I did not really get how they found any evidence. It was all too sudden. The mystery part was lacking.

Conclusion;
But hey, it was still a good book. A bit of a mystery, spying, weird maybe romance...still on the fence about that. And not to mention a cool heroine. A light mystery.

Paperback, 344 pages
Published 2010 by Walker Books
The Agency #2
YA (historical mystery
Own

31 comments:

  1. I've found Carr to be a bit lackluster personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it well enough, but not to buy more. I will save my money for fantasy

      Delete
  2. I used to read her but not much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this Carr series but I couldn't imagine just reading a book in the middle of it. So I loved all the visits from other characters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many characters in a romance messes with the romance, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Sounds good! Men are fools. Sighhhhhssss
    2) There are some people who look young, but that seems obscene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was more cos she was short? Hell I do not know, it was creepy. One man even mentioned it about him and a boy. So lovely, people think he was a pedo

      Delete
  6. The mystery appeals to me more although the romance one sounds cute too. just not in the mood for that currently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read a Robyn Carr book. I like this kind of series. I might find myself a copy of the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Carr's Thunder Road books (just #1 and #2) but I wasn't a fan. I've heard the Virgin River series is much better so I'll have to check those out for sure! Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say since I have not tried that other series, but hey if people say it is better :)

      Delete
  9. I hate when a romance doesn't focus on the one couple. Cameos are nice but it's their story.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small cameos can be nice, but it was very focused on others

      Delete
  10. The first book in the Carr series was so good. Some of the ones that followed (in a very long series) were not as strong. I loved the first one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when that happens, I always wish they could all have been awesome :)

      Delete
  11. I adore Robyn Carr just because her romances and her small communities make me so happy. Her books are so very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love those small towns, I wish I lived in one! Ok sure my village had 400-600 peeps in it, but they are all spread out in all directions

      Delete
  12. I really like Carr....but she is so different from romance authors. I have read a few books from her more recent series. She does implement many characters but once you get to them all...then its all good. I like the cover, such beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, it was, hmm, I should read more so I could express it more

      Delete
  13. I read the whole Virgin River series over the past few months - now I miss all the characters - too bad there won't be anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wont be more? Sad, but you can always re-read them all

      Delete
  14. I like some of Carrs. In half of hers she focuses on the actual couple. And in the other ones of hers she has WAY too many different storylines going and I hate that. Last one I read of hers had, honest to goodness, 11 different storylines to follow. That was way too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is just crazy, I could not deal with that. I want to focus on one couple

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP