Tuesday 5 July 2016

That part was true - Deborah McKinley

When Eve Petworth writes to Jackson Cooper to praise a scene in one of his books, they discover a mutual love of cookery and food. Their friendship blossoms against the backdrop of Jackson's colorful, but ultimately unsatisfying, love life and Eve's tense relationship with her soon-to-be married daughter. As each of them offers, from behind the veils of semi-anonymity and distance, wise and increasingly affectionate counsel to the other, they both begin to confront their problems and plan a celebratory meeting in Paris--a meeting that Eve fears can never happen. 

My thoughts:
A lovely book that was just so well written. The kind of prose that just flows, and you do not know why, but it's quite lovely.

It's the story of Eve who has always stayed in the background. Shy, bullied by her own mother, and with a rocky relationship with her daughter. Izzy whom I first liked at the end. When it all came together, forgiveness and understanding.

And it's the story of Jack, a writer struggling to write, who loves food, and who goes from woman to woman.

Last it is the story of how these two strike up a friendship through letters and even though they have never met they help each other out.

PS. there are recipes at the end, yay.

Conclusion:
I really can't put my finger on it, I started the book and just liked it from the first line. The good writing just pulled me in and did not let me go.

Cover
ok

Paperback, 240 pages
Published February 10th 2015 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2014)
Fiction
Own

37 comments:

  1. Aww this sounds like a really sweet read. I feel so bad that she was bullied by her own mom! I'll add this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her mum was so cruel. I am glad that by the time we get into the novel the mum is gone

      Delete
  2. I read this one a while ago and liked it. I felt the same way about how it pulled me in. In a quiet way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a sweet read. And I like that cover..I'm digging that style lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do love books in letters - and recipes always get me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not entirely in letters, I do love those

      Delete
  5. Well you've sold me on this one, it sounds really good and one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when there are recipes! I've been known to try a few here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love when a book is good and just doesn't let the reader go :D And YAY for recipes at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when you find books like that! It's so easy to read and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a romance through letters. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sound of this one. Quietly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to have a book like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! I love when books include something fun like recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice when it just flows and yay for recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like books that grab you even if you can't explain why. Adding it to my library queue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds really good. I'll have to keep it in mind. And the cover is pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP