Thursday 7 July 2016

The Beekeeper's Secret - Josephine Moon

Maria Lindsey has secrets to hide. Living on top of a secluded mountain is a good way to hide from the world... until her past begins to track her down. The surprising and intriguing new novel about the astounding secrets we keep from those we love.

Maria knew about guilt. It was a stubborn, pervasive and toxic emotion, and incredibly difficult to shake. Especially if really, deep down, you didn't think you deserved to let it go.'

Maria Lindsey is content. She spends her solitary days tending her bees and creating delicious honey products to fund orphaned children. A former nun, her life at Honeybee Haven has long been shaped by her self-imposed penance for terrible past events. But the arrival of two letters heralds the shattering of Maria's peaceful existence.

Pushing aside the misgivings of her family and friends, Tansy Butterfield, on the eve of her marriage, made a serious deal with her adored husband, Dougal. A deal she'd intended to honour. But, seven years on, Tansy is finding her current feelings difficult to ignore. And on top of those not-really-there feelings, Dougal wants to move to Canada!

With captivating characters and an intriguingly tangled mystery, The Beekeeper's Secret celebrates families in all their joys and complications. 

My thoughts:
To think that bees could be that interesting. It's a sad fact really, the bees are dying, we should all look out for our buddies the bees! We truly need them. And in this book, oh I liked how much Maria loved her bees. They were her family.

Maria is a former nun who is now the manager of a retreat, and she also makes honey products. She has a secret, a dark one that we slowly learns. It's a book that ultimately deals with some heavy subjects.

Tansy is happily married, but at a crossroads, and she reaches out to the aunt she has never known. It was really sad how the family had lost contact, and I got it. There were secrets, but at the same time, so sad. Maria loved her family and she lost it all. They get to know each other and a story will be told.

And Tansy is dealing with her own things too.

And there are bees! 

The only thing I misses was, hmm, perhaps a recipe? Yes a honey themed recipe would have been nice, but let's face it, I never make anything from those recipes. I just look at them and long.

Conclusion:
Secrets, family and bees. All good and bad things come together in this sweet book. But like a bee can sting there will be darker things than just honey around.

Cover
cute

Paperback, 368 pages
Expected publication: July 7th 2016 by Allen & Unwin
Women's fiction
For review

42 comments:

  1. I want! Ruthie Knox wrote a really good romance about a beekeeper too. Forgot the name.

    I buy all this local flavored honey but never use it all lol It's pretty to look a though.

    And I also have a big butterfly garden that also attracts the bees :-)

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A romance would be fun to read :D
      I only use honey when I am ill, and well not any fancy kind

      Delete
  2. I think the cover is cute too - glad to see the book is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems really cute and reminds me of The Secret Garden by Sarah Addison Allen since it's about sisters and secrets. Anyhow, thanks for putting this on my radar--it seems perfect for the summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that one!
      Though that was a nice magical realism/romance. The only thing they have in common are secrets

      Delete
  4. Cute cover...and yes bees are so important! We are all connected!! This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh a book about bees. I watched an episode of Elementary about a beekeper and it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never watched that show..dunno why

      Delete
  6. Sounds like one I might enjoy. And you're right, the cover is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear it was a sweet book

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful, and yes we must save the bees. I agree recipes would have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww! We don't really have bees here sadly, or they're constantly hiding :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not see many bees :/ Mostly wasps and bumblebees

      Delete
  10. Great review and this is one I bought and is sitting on my shelf to read so like that you enjoyed it. Me too - I just like to read the recipes and long!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good!! Yes a honey recipe would have been a good addition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh Yay for the bees!!! I love a character that is passionate. I do enjoy seeing some more darker subjects be put in place. Sounds unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also liked that it's set in Australia :D

      Delete
  13. Wow, this sounds intriguing. Will be sure to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just had a conversation with my dad about the dire straights of the bees just a month ago. This mystery sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people are just too stupid to see it :/ We need bees! It needs to be talked about

      Delete
  15. When it comes to books about insects, bees certainly are popular!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the sound of this, it seems to be a very relaxing read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We need bees! This sounds good. I like recipes in foodie novels but I don't think I've ever made anything.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's really scary - after the last bee dies we, humans, have just two years of life left. Save bees!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is cute. We have a number of bees here but they suck at their job of taking care of the plants here. lol

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP