Monday 1 August 2016

The Highwayman - Kerrigan Byrne

They're rebels, scoundrels, and blackguards-dark, dashing men on the wrong side of the law. But for the women who love them, a hint of danger only makes the heart beat faster, in the stunning debut historical romance The Highwayman by Kerrigan Byrne.

Dorian Blackwell, the Blackheart of Ben More, is a ruthless villain. Scarred and hard-hearted, Dorian is one of Victorian London's wealthiest, most influential men who will stop at nothing to wreak vengeance on those who've wronged him...and will fight to the death to seize what he wants. The lovely, still innocent widow Farah Leigh Mackenzie is no exception-and soon Dorian whisks the beautiful lass away to his sanctuary in the wild Highlands...

But Farah is no one's puppet. She possesses a powerful secret-one that threatens her very life. When being held captive by Dorian proves to be the only way to keep Farah safe from those who would see her dead, Dorian makes Farah a scandalous proposition: marry him for protection in exchange for using her secret to help him exact revenge on his enemies. But what the Blackheart of Ben More never could have imagined is that Farah has terms of her own, igniting a tempestuous desire that consumes them both. Could it be that the woman he captured is the only one who can touch the black heart he'd long thought dead?

My thought:
At times I wondered if Dorian was too dark, too scarred. He really is effed up, and he is a killer. But, but his vengeance always had a reason! But he was a killer, BUT, those motherf***ers deserved it.

Yup Dorian spent his youth in prison, then he created a criminal empire. 

Farah ran away as a child, she pretends she is a widow, and she works as a secretary for Scotland Yard.

Not two people that should know each other, but something ties them together, well an obvious thing as soon as you start reading. So, well he kidnaps her *facepalm*, but he has a good reason as she is in danger. And he is nice to her, he is just so effed up, awww, dang it, yes I like the effed up ones, you just want to hug them and make it better. Of course it would take this guy therapy and not just a roll around the sack to get better, but hey it's a romance.

Conclusion:
There is romance, passion, danger and hidden secrets. And then they lived happily ever after. 

Cover
So yellow

Kindle Edition, 379 pages
Published September 1st 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks
Victorian Rebels #1
Historical romance
Own

33 comments:

  1. I've been hearing a lot of rave for this author. Very unconventional for the hero to be a murderer, so I'm definitely curious about this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been others, but maybe not this messed up

      Delete
  2. ahaha! I love your reaction to that sexy killer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. Sometimes they do deserve to die. lol A little vigilante justine is called for at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha sounds interesting!! I'm getting more and more into Historical Romance now so I might just have to grab this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those broken souls as well. Lol. Their darkness calls to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a lot about this author and this book. Murder and romance doesn't mix very well, but hey, somehow she made it work. Lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often come across this issue with romance novels where the baggage is just too much for the relationship to be believable. I think I'll be skipping out on this, but thanks for such a honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So yellow and scandalous, I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book has one of those premises where everything would end up really badly if this was real life, but for a romance I'm glad it works :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In RL...yeah, totally would have stayed away from that guy

      Delete
  10. haha loved your review!!! I am glad to see you liked it for sure. Yeah the hero is a vigilante but he has good reasons for what he does. These two did have me in tears quite a bit though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes this type of hero is vastly appealing. Sounds like a different sort of historical romance and a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to tear this one apart ;p. The cover itself makes me angry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love darker characters..hmm, should try it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely looks like one I'd read. I love the sound of Dorian's character.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh I do need to read her. I like the yellow :D

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP